Tuesday, March 07, 2006

PROUD TO DO WHAT I DO

As I mentioned in my last blog, I love what I do. I just got this in an email and thought I would share it...

One of my sons serves in the army. He is still here in
Canada . He called me yesterday to let me know how
warm and welcoming people were to him, and his fellow
soldiers, everywhere he goes, telling me how people
shake their hands, and thank them for being willing to
serve, and fight, for not only our own freedoms but so
that others may have them also. But he also told me
about an incident in the grocers' shop he stopped at
yesterday, on his way home from the barracks. He said
that ahead of several people in front of him stood a
woman dressed in a burkha.
He said when she got to the checkout she loudly
remarked about the Canadian Flag lapel badge the cashier
wore on her blouse. The cashier reached up and touched
the badge, and said proudly," Yes, I always wear it
and probably always will."

The woman in the burkha then asked the cashier when
she was going to stop bombing her countrymen,
explaining that she was Iraqi. A gentleman standing
behind my son stepped forward, putting his arm around
my son's shoulders, and nodding towards my son, said
in a calm and gentle voice to the Iraqi woman: "Lady,
hundreds of thousands of men and women like this young
man have fought and died so that YOU could stand here,
in MY country and accuse a check-out cashier of
bombing YOUR countrymen. It is my belief that had you
been this outspoken in YOUR own country, we wouldn't
need to be there today.
But, hey,if you have now learned how to speak out so
loudly and clearly, I'll gladly buy you a ticket and
pay your way back to Iraq so you can straighten out
the mess in YOUR country that you are obviously here,
in MY, country to avoid."

Everyone within hearing distance cheered!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy 2 posts Batman!!!
Sounds like you guys have been keeping busy!
The next long weekend is Easter weekend and I was hoping to come visit you guys, if that's alright with you! I'm getting my wisdom teeth pulled on thursday, so I'll be a little sore, but I would LOVE to get away from gibsons for a bit. And I'm totally fine with you guys using me for free babysitting!
I'll talk to ya later!
LOVE YOU ALL!

Angella said...

Ditto on the 2 posts :)

Thanks for the updates...now post some PICTURES!!

Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! vw my fast commercial hosazaki ice machines Mark padilla divorce peugeot prices bull shoals - lakeview rotary club scholarship http://www.waterbed-service.info/Peugeot.html patanol generico affordable health insurance for new york self employed Happy hardcore jungle Alarm car uk

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » »